Search This Blog

Monday, May 14, 2012

Exercise: Colour relationships

This exercise provided me with plenty of challenges.  Trying to get shots of the specified colour relationships was tricky, particular as I was trying to get shots with natural colour as opposed to man made.


The first shot was taken at an aquarium and utilises the natural orange colour of the aquatic vegetation.  Although the orange is not a strong orange I think that the contrast works well.




The second shot was taken of an American fire hydrant against the very green grass,  I have cropped it so it fits the recommended proportions. 1;:1 red to green.




The third shot was the hardest to compose as I found it hard to locate a natural violet and yellow in the same circumstance so I resorted to contriving my own shot.  I used some violet material and a bright yellow lego block.



For the second part of this exercise I took and chose several shots of colour combinations that are not necessarily within the 'rules' but simply ones that appealed to me.

The first picture I am using is from a NASCAR race, the competitors all use brightly coloured cars so as to catch the eye of the spectator. This picture has a lot of contrasting colpur which works well within context.  I shot it with a telepho lens at the lowest aperture I could with a zoom so as to catch the movement and detail.



The second shot on the beach has a variety of colours some of whic hare well matched but there are pllenty that are not I think that they all work well together in the sunny composition.  The blue and orange works well but the extra colours, the red and pink give the photo an edge.




The next shot has green and orange as the feature colours the contrast between the natural and artificial green works well for me and the orange brings attention to the scene.



The final shot in this exercise is of a variety of cotton reels in a wool museum.  There is an imbalance in the colours but it works well in the context of the shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment